Hey Everyone,
I made it back from my first solo trip alive and well.
When I first decided to take a trip by myself to Italy, no one could believe it. Everyone thought I would be lonely & it wouldn’t be fun. Well, if I was a sad person with no friends, it would be a completely different situation. The difference is that I have all of you and I am secure enough with myself to spend three days alone.
When you get the opportunity to travel only two hours to a place you always wanted to visit, you go. Remember, I only moved three months ago. In due time I will have a big network of people, but until then I am not going to pass up the opportunity to see the world. Seize the day.
When I first arrived in Rome, I got into a taxi to my hotel. I must say a few words about this taxi journey. Taxi drivers in New York do not speak English and smell. Taxi drivers in London are extremely jolly older men. Now let me break down what was going through my mind during my taxi ride into Rome. “Is it getting hot in here?!” “God, you are good looking!” “If there was only more traffic to sit through…” “I didn’t understand one word you just said, but feel free to say it again!”
That takes me to my thoughts on men from Italy. They are not like New Jersey, gel in the hair, gold chain wearing, hairy, over cologne using, I can’t wait for DJ’s in Belmare to open guys. They are just flat out good looking and don’t even have to say a word to be sexy. Although, when they actually start talking...it just gets better. Now, if we didn’t live in a world full of swine flu and disease, I might just take the “When in Rome” approach. Unfortunately we do and I had to settle for the fantasy.
More on Rome…
It’s a city with so much history and beauty that my words will not do it justice. When you walk through the streets you feel like you are part of something bigger than yourself. I am not sure if it’s because I was at the Vatican or it was the high from the amazing gelato, but it was something. I was just very happy to be there to experience it.
I would be writing for days if I went into every detail, so I am only going to touch on my three favorite things.
Coliseum: Absolutely incredible. You must check out my pictures to really get a true sense of what it was like. Construction on the site started between 70 and 72 AD under the emperor and it’s still standing. The architecture is amazing. Your mind takes you back in history & when I stood there I could only wonder what really went down in there. I imagine the most insane fight scenes took place.
The Vatican: The building has so much history and I think you can be any religion to enjoy it. It was amazing and spiritual. You can make fun of me all you want, but when you go there you will feel the same. Also, that Pope can really draw a crowd. (Obama has nothing on him)
The Food: Do I really need to say this? So good, melt in your mouth fantastic. Although, I will admit that New Jersey/New York Italian food measures up. We do Italian well in the tri-state area.
I must also point out the gelato. It’s on every corner and it certainly deserves to be on every corner. It is that good. I have never tasted such good ice cream. My grandpa always told me to take two scoops, so I did….every day. (Serious diet starts tomorrow. For Real)
Next stop, Capri?
I made a last minute decision to go to Capri for the day. I always wanted to go to Capri, so I did…
I took a bus along the country side of Rome, which was again amazing. The scenery of the vineyards and animals was so incredible. I wish I was able to take more photos, but I couldn’t get a good shot from the bus.
Oh, and what do you know? I made some friends along the way. I met two people from Australia that were traveling Europe for five weeks & I spent the rest of my day with them. I love meeting new people.
I got a ferry from Naples and it was about 45 minutes to Capri. When the boat pulled up to the island I thought I was in heaven. For a minute I thought I might just retire and become a local for the rest of my life. Then I brought myself back to reality and realized I was only 27. Darn.
Capri was beautiful. Again, take a look at my pictures. There is actually only one really narrow road along the island. It’s full of little shops, designer shopping and restaurants. The best part of Capri is the scenery and the sun. I think I might buy a vacation home there one day. A girl can dream…
It was a great trip. I saw so many amazing things, got some sun (way too much, which is why you won’t see a lot of pictures of me) and met new people. My solo trip was awesome.
Next Visitor: Mo is coming on the 14th and I couldn’t be more excited.
Next visitor on the list: No one. Get booking!
Chelsea update: We tied Barcelona in a huge game last week and we play them again at home this week. If we win, we go to the finals. Go Blues!
Huge News: My sister works with Wayne Chrebet. I might fly home before August just to meet him. Another dream of mine.
Until the next one…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Cuzo, I am SOOOO JEALOUS!! I've wanted to go to Italy for EVER. If I get a teaching job, you may just get a visitor for next spring break. Christmas is in CA from now on, but hopefully Spring Break i'll have enough money and can maybe even con Uncle Mark into paying for some of it/coming with??
ReplyDeletecindy,
ReplyDeleteyou'll never guess who this is------ i just got off the phone with your mom and she explained to me how to get to your blog???? i did it--- miss you,honey but i just love what you wrote- Italy is amazing- i remember it even though i was very young the last time i was there. how fabulous that you are taking advantage of all these opportunities-- you are really something else!!!!! keep writing and i'll hopefully keep reading! love lynn (Cary sends his love also)
Rel - I'm so jealous. What a great trip & great experiences you are having. Miss you!
ReplyDeleteMrs. Cimo
PS - I don't know what to choose to comment as so I am anonymous, but you know :-)