Hi Everyone,
I know, I know. It’s been way too long since I last posted.
The first thing I did when I signed on was read through all of my past blogs. After I read them, all I could think was WOW. Sometimes I think this year has gone so fast & I haven’t changed a bit. Maybe the only thing I really learned was some British lingo. But then I go back and read what I wrote a year ago and realize how much I have experienced.
I am going into my 11th month in London and I know the end is near. I mentioned to most of you that I would be moving in December, but things have changed and I am moving back in March.
When I first arrived in London I was excited, but scared. I was nervous I would be lonely. I was afraid I wouldn’t have any friends. I thought I would be home sick. I thought I wouldn’t fit in. I hoped that I wouldn’t fail miserably at work. I also didn’t know if I could handle being so far away during football season. (Okay - maybe that last one was a little exaggerated, but it’s tough watching my Jets so far away) One word for all of that - Dramatic.
I didn’t give myself enough credit. It took several months, but it turns out I have quite a social life, I was only home sick for the first 4 months, I am surrounded by a great group of people, I didn’t fail miserably at work and thankfully I found a solution so I could watch the Jets.
It sounds cliché, but I am so much smarter, more confident and wiser than I was a year ago. Maybe it took me a year to realize that, but I actually believe that it’s true now. When you are taken out of your comfort zone and dropped into country where you don’t know a single person, you have no choice but to challenge yourself. That challenge was exactly what I was looking for. I finally realized that it’s not just my fabulous appealing American accent (they love our accent as much as we love theirs), but people from all walks of life really enjoy spending time with me. Who would have thought? As ridiculous and possibly pathetic as that sounds, it’s what I needed to feel this year.
Sure I still have frustrating days where I wish I was home eating a real sandwich with some friends. Or days when I wish I could blink and be home to see the sun. But, like I have said before, I am not in a foreign country with no water supply or being tortured. I am in London. When I think of the experience, it cancels the negative out.
Last October I was crying and saying goodbye to all of you at my party. It’s a year later and I tear up every time I talk about leaving London. Go figure. At the same time, I am looking forward to going back to the best city in the world with a different perspective. I am really looking forward to it.
That’s really all I have to say for now. As for the next four months, I just plan on spending most of my time in London with all of the people that have taken me in.
Travel Update:
It’s been quite a year of travel. I have been to NY three times, Barcelona (I leave on Nov 21st), Capri, Rome, Budapest, Paris, Wales and Ireland. (I head back to Dublin in January for Jo’s birthday). I will also be home December 16-29th for the holidays & hope to see most of you (apt hunting!). Also, once more before I move home for Deirdre’s bachelorette party. Finally, I hope to squeeze in a weekend in Amsterdam. NYE is still up in the air.
I will definitely be in travel withdrawal next year.
My flat move & visitors:
My lease ends on December 7th so I will be moving into my friend Sophie’s flat for 3 ½ months until I move back.
So, if any of you want to visit. November will be the best time. Get to it.
Why haven’t I made fun of any British related things in this blog!?!
Because everything seems so normal these days. How crazy is that!?
Chelsea football:
We are dominating this season!
Prince Harry?
No, Prince Harry and I haven’t tied the knot. We never had our moment. Looks like I am going back to NY a single gal. His loss.
Until the next one,
Cindy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment