Thursday, March 26, 2009

Ballerinas, Boat Races and Back to the Basics

Hi Everyone,

Well, I finally recovered from being sick for two straight weeks. I felt miserable from the time Lauren & Kathleen left until yesterday. I had a cold that wouldn’t quit me.

On to more important matters...

I am extremely excited so I first must share some amazing news. I finally got cable and internet! After months of waiting, I am back to the basics. This lovely-momentous occasion happened yesterday. I got home late last night so I haven’t had the chance to watch the telly just yet, but you can be sure that I will be watching hours of non-stop, in your face American TV tonight. The anticipation is killing me.

I also did a very posh British thing and I went to the ballet. It’s not a very Cindy-like thing to do, but my new client is the Royal Opera House. I was invited to a meeting at the Opera House and I got a private "VIP" tour. It was so amazing. The building has history dating back to the 1700’s. It was absolutely beautiful. The Royal Opera House is actually the most popular Opera in the world. Its reputation is actually better than the MET. The tour was such a great experience. I went into the designer rooms and I watched the design team hand sew every little stitch on these beautiful costumes. I then got to go backstage and see how much goes into putting on a show. It was incredible. Then I went to see Swan Lake that night. WOW-major Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman "I just peed my pants" moment. The ballerinas were absolutely amazing and elegant and so incredibly talented. I felt like I was the most boring untalented person in the world after leaving that place.

Side note-My mom once asked me to choose between basketball or dance. I chose basketball because my chest as a young girl started to develop earlier than the others. I didn’t feel comfortable getting changed out of my leotard in front of the other girls. So as you can see my prude behavior in the locker room hasn’t changed 20-something years later. We all know my thoughts and reaction to the nudity that takes place in the locker room at my new gym. I am keeping to my sunglasses strategy. So far-so good.

The Oxford & Cambridge Boat Race: This is a huge annual event that takes place in London every year. In 1829, Cambridge sent a challenge to Oxford and the tradition has been kept alive ever since. The race runs along the Thames and there are millions of people that watch and come out to see it every year. It's also clearly another excuse to drink the day away. I will be heading out to catch the action on Sunday with Bex the Brit who is an Oxford grad and very passionate about her team.

Boat races and the ballet….Who am I?

Window Screens: This one threw me for a loop. It’s been beautiful outside so I did what any normal person does on a beautiful spring day and opened the windows. I then noticed my windows were lacking screens. No screens = bugs. So at work the next day, I expressed my concern over not having any screens on my windows. Immediately everyone shot back… “Screens? We don’t use screens in the UK” So my next obvious question was, “Well, then how do you block the bugs from coming into your flat?” Their response was, “Our bugs aren’t like American bugs. They aren’t as bad here b/c it doesn’t get hot.” Umm…bugs are bugs ladies and gentlemen. I don’t care what color they are, what shape or what size. A bug is a bug and I don’t want them sleeping with me. And for the record…there were bugs in my flat when I got home. Mind boggling.

Visitors: Mrs. Schwartz has booked her trip and she will be here in May for 4 days. (If you didn’t get that, Mrs. Schwartz is Mo)

Travel: My plan was to go somewhere in April for the Easter 4-day weekend, but I waited too long to book and a flight that is usually $75 is $600. So, I am staying local.

I do plan on booking early and going somewhere for my birthday weekend in May b/c it’s a bank holiday. It’s a toss up between Rome and Barcelona. Any takers??

Next time I am home: I will be home in early August for the birth of my niece. Yes, Amy is having a girl! As you can imagine, I am extremely excited to go baby shopping. Jack on the other hand told me over the phone that Amy is having a boy. (even after hearing the news).

That's all for now. Until the next one...

No comments:

Post a Comment